The State Agency of Medicines (SAM) is a governmental body with the aim to
- ensure that medicines approved for use in Estonia for the prevention, treatment and diagnosis of human and animal diseases are proven to be efficacious, of high quality and safe;
- promote the rational use of medicines;
- ensure that narcotic and psychotropic substances and their precursors are used appropriately and in accordance with international conventions.
- ensure the protection of the safety and rights of the clinical trial participants in Estonia;
- ensure that cells, tissues and organs used in the treatment of humans in Estonia are proven to be safe and of high quality;